Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sweet ravioli - with prune jam





Today my daughter requested 'derelye', this sweet ravioli filled with prune jam. It is similar to its Italian relative, but I have not heard of any sweet version other than this Hungarian recipe. I like to prepare Derelye on the weekends when I have enough time for all the steps it involves. Usually I serve it as a second course after chicken soup or something light. It is our version of comfort food, that also covers the dessert course. Even if you spend a little more time in the kitchen, it is worthwhile investment when your family inhales the pasta in seconds!


The first part is making a dough! I like to use a food processor to start mixing the ingredients and then take matters in my own hands!!

The dough:
1 lb 5 oz (by weight) AP flour, 4 eggs, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 cup water

Mix in the eggs with the flour that has the salt in it using the pulse on the food processor. When the mixture looks like crumbs, add the water slowly. When the dough starts to stick together, I remove it from the bowl and start kneading a little more.



Once it becomes smooth and homogenous you can let it (and your hands) rest for half an hour covered with a bowl.



 You can start working on the crumb in the meantime. You will need:

1 stick butter, 1- 1,5 cup of breadcrumbs (plain)


In a saute pan melt the butter and start browning the breadcrumbs gently until it becomes a little (!) darker. Watch out, it can burn quickly! When done, set it aside to cool.

When the time is up, have your table ready for assembling the raviolis. I like to have my materials and tools handy! You will need a flat surface to roll out the dough or use a pasta machine (I rolled to my machine's setting #5). 


The filling is prune jam that comes in a jar or can. I personally love Solo Prune Plum Pastry Filling that is available in most grocery stores close to pie fillings. If there's a European store nearby, check out their selection, too. (Look for Lekvar!)

When the dough is rolled out we are ready to fill! Drop tablespoonful of plum jam onto the middle of the dough about 2 inches apart. On one end of the rolled pasta and in between the jam brush a light line so that the dough will stick and close the filling in. (I know they look like black blobs; sorry the picture doesn't do justice to the color!)


Carefully turn the dough over and close the little pockets by pressing down the dough between the droplets. I have a little tool, a kitchen rotary cutter that creates a wavy edge. If you have a ravioli cutter you can use to seal the edge. Mine turned out like this:



Then it's time to throw them in boiling water! Depending on how you like your pasta, al dente or not, cook them in smaller batches for about 10-15 minutes. When done, drain them from excess water and drop them in the crumbs to coat.



Serve them on a plate, dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment